Sunday, August 10, 2014

Why do I live? Why didn't I just kill myself? Because Fuck You, That's Why.

Dealing with a suicidal person can get you thinking sometimes. I tried to figure some on the spot way of consoling her, giving her something to fuel the fire of life within her and motivate her to dispel the possibility of suicide. However, I found nothing to tell her except my own story of how I survived.

During the spring semester, I got stressed out. The homework had kept me down so much that I felt like killing myself. I'd hit rock bottom, and I cried myself to sleep Friday night. A week or two more of this, and I would've followed through, no second thoughts, and I'd get it right the first time.

What saved me, however, was nothing more than Disc Golf.

Yes, Yes...this fucker saved my life
The next morning my mother, my sister, and I went on a disc golf campaign with my sister's teacher, who was pretty cool. After that we had pizza for lunch, and I took the rest of the day off. That was the tipping point of my depression.

Basically, when you're depressed, you don't see or think clearly. When depressed, you're locked into this air of pessimism that's hard to escape. You're trapped, and it's unlikely you can get out of it on your own, usually having to have help from another person. Fate was the one that aided me. With one morning of peace and tranquility amidst stress and confusion, I was allowed to have the fog of pessimism cleared, and it was then that I saw with clarity.

/r/ShittyTumblrGifs
I was at rock bottom then. I realized that not only did I have nowhere to go but up, I realized that I had nothing to lose. I didn't care anymore about what would happen if I made a fool out of myself, it didn't matter. I realized I could be who I wanted to be (that is, awesome) and if anyone disagreed, fuck them. I wanted to do what I wanted to do, and I did just that, just as I became who I wanted to be, and nobody could stop me.

Behold the magnificent Captain Yaple

God, I never get tired of that picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment